Artist Biography : Wonjoo Park Presented By Let’s Curate
I am a sculptor exploring the power of the vulnerable. It came to me when I saw some piles of glass trash. I attended a residence program of Pilchuck Glass School, US. The useless leftover to go dump in the mornings was endlessly glittering under the fluorescent light. The discovery led me to make ‘a lightly crumpled picture-frame’ with uneven and irregularly slumped glass pane called .
I also fond of A4 copy paper (ISO216). I do the construction work with planar figure drawings. The universality of the subject matter makes me possible to break down and reestablish the boundaries of 2D and 3D. I found the entity of the plain office paper at the same glass workshop due to the heavy-facilities’ fussy-picky restrictions.
I have been granted by the studio programs: National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Korea; Swing Space Awards by Lower Manhattan Cultural Council, US; Flax Art Studios, Northern Ireland; Sølyst Artist in Residence Center & VAK, Denmark. At Arts/Industry, John Michael Kohler Arts Center, I was presented in jest with a brass toy trophy made of defective products gathered from one of the factory workers as the first artist over achieving for my massive amount of work. This can be one of my gems.
I was featured as one of 100 Korean contemporary artists in published by Arts Council Korea in 2013.
- 2018 Saalgoo Residency, Drawing Space Saalgoo, Seoul, Korea
2010 Center for Art in Woo, International Turning Exchange, Philadelphia, US
- 2008 Sølyst Artist in Residence Center, Jyderup, Denmark
2006 Lower Manhattan Cultural Council, Swing Space Awards, New York City, US
- 2006 Braziers International Artists Workshop, Ipsden, UK
- 2005 John Michael Kohler Arts Center, Arts/Industry, Sheboygan, US
- 2004 Arts Award of The Year 2004, finalist, Arts Award of The Year, Seoul, Korea
- 2004 National Museum of Contemporary Art, Changdong Studio, Seoul, Korea
- 2003 Flax Art Studios, Belfast, International Residency Program, Belfast, Northern Ireland
- 2001 Pilchuck Glass School, Emerging Artist-in-Residence Program, Stanwood, US
- 2001 Centrum Foundation, Artist-in-Residence Program, Port Townsend, US
- 2000 The Millay Colony for the Art, Artist-in-Residence Program, Austerlitz, US
- 2003 National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Korea
- 2006 Swing Space Awards by Lower Manhattan Cultural Council, US
- 2003 Flax Art Studios, Northern Ireland
- 2005 Arts/Industry, John Michael Kohler Arts Center
- 2008 Sølyst Artist in Residence Center & VAK, Denmark
- 2018 Arts Council Korea Endowments
- 2012 published by Openbooks, Art Council Korea: Featured as one of the “100 Korean Contemporary Artists”
- 2009, Kim Chong Yung Museum, Seoul, Korea
- 2006, Sculpture Center, New York City, US
- 2004, selected by Louise Hayward (Store Gallery, London, UK)